Cheryl Allen has had the opportunity to use her consulting and training skills to address a number of interesting and challenging situations in software project management and business process re-engineering. The following example case studies describe specific consulting engagements. For more detailed information on each case study, click on the case study title. The case studies are followed by a collection of comments from workshop participants.
A state government department contacted Cheryl to assist them in defining and implementing an IT PMO to improve the effectiveness and on-time delivery of the large variety of projects in the data center. At the conclusion of the consulting engagement, the IT PMO was implemented successfully, including:
- A standard process for initiating and tracking different types of technical and non-technical projects
- A “Project Startup Kit” for training new project managers
- A process for prioritizing projects
A global technology company contacted Cheryl to review and update their peer review process documentation and training to improve its practical and standard use throughout the organization. Cheryl created concise process descriptions and training materials and delivered them successfully via video conferencing opening up new options for world-wide training. The peer review process is a standard best practice throughout the organization, enabling the identification and correction of most major defects in software prior to testing.
Case #3: Designing and implementing a centralized project tracking and reporting process to reduce project team fragmentation
An internet start-up company hired Cheryl to assist with project management standardization and process improvement in their newly established Project Services Office (PSO). As a result of this engagement, the PSO implemented an automated project tracking process using MS Project Central which received enthusiastic responses from executives and project team members throughout the organization.
Training Participant Comments:
Cheryl consistently receives very positive feedback from participants in her seminars and workshops. Here are a few of the positive comments received on training evaluation forms at UC Berkeley Extension and other clients:
- “The confident and pleasant personality of the instructor set the tone for learning. I learned a lot and thoroughly enjoyed the 3-day training!”
- “Cheryl is an extremely knowledgeable instructor who made this class fun with real life situations. The class was very well done!”
- “Course reader is the best I have seen.”
- “The best part was the team spirit of the course and the instructor. She put in the extra effort to ensure that we all understood each point.”
- “I really enjoyed Cheryl’s ability to use real world experience in her instruction.”
- “Excellent presentation communicating the software project management concepts clearly and concisely”
- “The training was challenging, but very enjoyable. Cheryl made learning fun.”
- “The exercises and templates were very useful! Thank-you!”
- “One of the BEST instructors!”